Special Education

Office of Special Education
845-351-4799 Ext. 2011

Kenneth Poka, School Psychologist
CSE/CPSE Chairperson 
Section 504 Coordinator

Mrs. Bernice Feest
Special Education Secretary

Special Education Links
Response to Intervention
Section 504 & Your Rights


Kenneth Poka, School Psychologist

Committee on Special Education (CSE)
The Committee on Special Education (CSE) evaluates the needs of children who have or may have physical, mental or emotional disabilities. A comprehensive core evaluation, which includes a psychological, educational and social assessment, helps determine a child’s needs. When a child is recommended for special education, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is developed, specifying services to be provided and the approach to be used to address the child’s needs.

Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE)
The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) addresses the needs of children, ages 3 to 5, with disabilities. Parents with preschool children suspected of having a handicapping condition should call the TUFSD School Psychologist at 845-351-4786 ext. 3209.

Section 504
Section 504 is a civil rights statute that requires schools – public or private – who receive federal financial assistance for educational purposes not discriminate against children with disabilities. Under the rulings of Section 504, schools must provide these students with reasonable accommodations comparable to those provided to their peers. Students with a disability that substantially limits a major life function may be eligible for accommodations under a Section 504 Plan. 

School Psychologists
School psychologists play a major role in the prevention, intervention and remediation of school problems. They help identify and evaluate children with emotional, social, behavioral and learning disorders; provide short-term or group counseling, and serve as a resource to staff and parents in working with children with special needs.

Speech Services
Speech therapists help students with speech and language disorders and articulation disorders. Therapists serve students classified by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) and other students with special needs.